As with all other machineries, air conditioners also, require regular servicing and maintenance. Air conditioners need to run for long hours, especially in summers and if necessary maintenance is neglected, it can lead to its poor performance leaving you uncomfortable and sweaty. In addition, regular servicing prevents any major breakdown of the electronic appliance and saves a lot on your repair bill.
Why regular servicing is required?
Regular servicing ensures maximum efficiency of the air conditioner. Without proper maintenance, air conditioners have shown a decline of about 5% in their efficiency each year while increasing the energy usage. This efficiency can be restored by maintenance and thus, saves you a lot on your electricity bill.
Due to lack of maintenance or non-repair of faulty or broken parts, an air conditioner can freeze during summers leaving you in a rough situation and the air conditioner replacement or repairing will be a comparatively costly affair.
What maintenance does it require?
A regular service involves
- Cleaning or replacing the filters
- Checking and cleaning of the evaporator coil
- Combing of the aluminum fins present on the evaporator and condenser coils
- Clearing clogged drain channels
- Checking for the correct level of coolant and test for any leakage before refilling the coolant.
- Oiling the fan motors
- Checking and sealing of any duct leakage
- Checking the accuracy of thermostat
- Inspecting the amperage draw of the compressor
- Lubricating all movable parts
- Confirming whether the system operating pressures as well as temperatures are as per the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Checking that the belts are adjusted well and tightened.
- Inspecting the seal between the air conditioner and the window frame as it can be easily damaged by the moisture and allows the cool air to escape.
- Tightening the electric terminals and applying a non-conducive tape wherever required.
As you can see, the service and maintenance of an air conditioner is a skilled task and it is always advisable to hire a professional or trained technician to do the job perfectly. Similarly, if you own an HVAC (Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning) system, its service and maintenance becomes all the more necessary as it is a complex system where several parts of the machine work together to cool or heat your home or business area. A yearly HVAC service ensures longer life, lower utility costs and higher efficiency.
Some do-it-yourself tips:
- Check the filter monthly for any clogging and replace it every 3 months.
- During the running season of the cooling appliance, weekly remove all debris such as leaves, twigs etc. from around the outdoor air conditioning unit and heat pumps.
- Inspect the insulation on the refrigerant lines on a monthly basis and replace or repair them accordingly.
- Every year, mix a cup of bleach and water and pour it into the condensate drain to prevent any clogging by mold or algae.
Keeping these details in mind will allow the system to run effectively. However, in case of any complaints or problems, call the technicians for immediate help as they are experienced in all kinds of air conditioning repairs.
Learn more about Caryl Mechanicals at www.carylmechanicals.com.